modified attribute not being set to yes in .properties file

modified attribute not being set to yes in .properties file

Dean Oemcke
Hi,

I have an application using hsqldb v2.2.8 which periodically takes a backup of the database files. This is purely a file copy, not using any sql to create a checkpoint.
I have found that every now and then the .properties file that gets saved has modified=no even though it has come from a live database that has been in use for over an hour.
This causes problems when I come to try to restore from these backed up files as the .log file does not get processed.
Have you ever come across this issue or know what might be causing it?
I have actually recently upgraded to 2.2.9 and have not had it happen yet on the new version. But at this point it could just be a coincidence.

Thanks for your ever present help,
Dean

Re: modified attribute not being set to yes in .properties file

Fred Toussi-2
The modified=no state happens briefly during a checkpoint.

The file backup method is not recommended, because while the files are being copied, their state may change. Use the built-in backup methods.

Fred