compress large database

Bayless Kirtley
Is there a way to compress a large database after removing several tables? I am converting an Access database to HSQL and Java and have several large tables for raw import of the Access tables. After massaging them into final form, I drop the raw tables but the size of the database files does not seem to notice that. It stays about double the size it needs to be.

Thanks
Bayless

Re: compress large database

Fred Toussi-2
You can use either SHUTDOWN COMPACT or CHECKPOINT DEFRAG to compact the database file after removing several large tables.

Alternatively you could use TEXT tables for the raw import of the data. As the data for these tables is stored separately in individual files, you can later drop the tables and delete their files.

Fred

On Thu, Oct 22, 2015, at 20:34, Bayless Kirtley wrote:
Is there a way to compress a large database after removing several tables? I am converting an Access database to HSQL and Java and have several large tables for raw import of the Access tables. After massaging them into final form, I drop the raw tables but the size of the database files does not seem to notice that. It stays about double the size it needs to be.

Thanks
Bayless

Re: compress large database

Bayless Kirtley
Thanks a lot Fred. Dang, now I remember Shutdown Compact. I guess it’s been a long time since I had to deal with a larger database.

BTW, it’s been a long time since I thanked you for this outstanding piece of software. Being retired, I don’t develop anything but what I want to and it seems everything involves Java and HSQLDB. The only reason I took this one on is it is a charity project for a local food pantry, managed by a friend and feeding the needy. The reason you don ‘t hear much from me anymore is that there are just never any problems.

Bayless

Re: compress large database

Bayless Kirtley
Excellent idea Fred. Soon as it is proven, I’ll be happy to offer it open source.

Bayless