Quantcast

Stuck on network access to server

Bayless Kirtley
I know I have done this before but it was a few years ago. I have just read the documentation and can’t find the answer.

I have about finished the food pantry application and now need to access it from a second computer on the network of two wired Windows 7 desktops plus an occasional wireless Windows 10 laptop. I have no problem opening two copies on the server’s computer but from the other computers I don’t see the running server. I’m sure I must be missing some simple step. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Oh, I am using the same connection string on all computers “jdbc:hsqldb:hsql://localhost/Meals”, the pseudo name of the database. I suspect that may be the problem but the documentation seems to indicate it is correct.

BTW, thanks for your suggestion Fred. I have already taken out all hard-coded references to this local food pantry and generalized it to be ready for submitting to Open Source. Will do so as soon as it has proven itself. Of course, need to overcome this last hurdle before actually installing.

Thanks
Bayless

Re: Stuck on network access to server

Bayless Kirtley
Thanks for the quick answer Chris. That’s what I was suspecting because it just made sense. In fact I was just trying that but looks like I still have something wrong with it. I wish I had a little more in-depth knowledge of network procedures and protocols. Now must try to find the name or IP to the server’s computer on this local network.

Re: Stuck on network access to server

Chris Pratt
If it's a windows computer, type "ipconfig" at the command prompt and it will be labeled "IPv4 Address"
  (*Chris*)

On Sun, Oct 25, 2015 at 5:41 PM, Bayless Kirtley <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thanks for the quick answer Chris. That’s what I was suspecting because it just made sense. In fact I was just trying that but looks like I still have something wrong with it. I wish I had a little more in-depth knowledge of network procedures and protocols. Now must try to find the name or IP to the server’s computer on this local network.

Re: Stuck on network access to server

Bayless Kirtley
Thanks again Chris. I got it. Don’t know what the problem was with the server’s computer name earlier but I just tried and it worked. My test network at home is wireless and the second computer is a slow laptop. Sometimes it does take a while to recognize the other devices. Maybe that was it. Anyway, the pantry is wired so if that was the problem, it shouldn’t exist there.

Bayless