Quantcast

Scheduling "COMPACT SHUTDOWN"

Sudhakar-4
Hi,
     Issueing "COMPACT SHUTDOWN" commands do help in maintaining databases, by removing empty lines in the database. As this command is required  to be run once in a while, can we have a facility to schedule compact shutdowns. The reason being, the database may be installed in a remote place where there is no database administrator.

DISCLAIMER: This message contains privileged and confidential information and is
intended only for the individual named.If you are not the intended
recipient you should not disseminate,distribute,store,print, copy or
deliver this message.Please notify the sender immediately by e-mail if
you have received this e-mail by mistake and delete this e-mail from
your system.

Re: Scheduling "COMPACT SHUTDOWN"

Blaine Simpson
There are lots of Java and non-Java scheduling utilities.  For the
shutdown part, you just need a JDBC
client to (get a session with a DBA account) and run whatever SHUTDOWN
command you want.  You
could even do it on-demand remotely over the Internet, using TLS
encryption.  If your OS has a
keep-alive type utility... I sure hope Windows has such a thing by
now... you should be able to set it to
restart automatically after the process quits.  Lots of other ways, but
this method would take about 15
minutes to set up (well, add a half hour for TLS setup if you want that).