New features in HSQLDB version 2.3.4 Release Candidate 2

New features in HSQLDB version 2.3.4 Release Candidate 2

Fred Toussi-2
The latest Release Candidate 2 jar (corresponding to SVN /trunk revision
5570) is available now from
the hsqldb.org web site:

http://www.hsqldb.org/download/

See the changelist:

http://hsqldb.org/doc/2.0/changelist_2_0.txt

Important new capabilities such as UUID type and SYNONYM have been
added.

The final release will be out soon. Please test the Release Candidate 2
jar with your applications and report any issues as soon as possible.

Fred Toussi
HSQLDB Project

Re: New features in HSQLDB version 2.3.4 Release Candidate 2

gnani.swami
Hi Fred,

"-- added support for storing live Java Objects in mem: databases with live_object connection property" - Seems quite interesting,  But I couldn't find any documentation about it.

Can I use HSQLDB without any ORM? Is there a way I could store JSON object and fire SQL against it.
Cheers

On Mon, Mar 21, 2016 at 9:21 PM, Fred Toussi <[hidden email]> wrote:
The latest Release Candidate 2 jar (corresponding to SVN /trunk revision
5570) is available now from
the hsqldb.org web site:

http://www.hsqldb.org/download/

See the changelist:

http://hsqldb.org/doc/2.0/changelist_2_0.txt

Important new capabilities such as UUID type and SYNONYM have been
added.

The final release will be out soon. Please test the Release Candidate 2
jar with your applications and report any issues as soon as possible.

Fred Toussi
HSQLDB Project

Re: New features in HSQLDB version 2.3.4 Release Candidate 2

Thomas Kellerer
Fred Toussi schrieb am 21.03.2016 um 14:21:

> The latest Release Candidate 2 jar (corresponding to SVN /trunk revision
> 5570) is available now from
> the hsqldb.org web site:
>
> http://www.hsqldb.org/download/
>
> See the changelist:
>
> http://hsqldb.org/doc/2.0/changelist_2_0.txt
>
> Important new capabilities such as UUID type and SYNONYM have been
> added.
>
> The final release will be out soon. Please test the Release Candidate 2
> jar with your applications and report any issues as soon as possible.

When running a SELECT with a table that does not exist, I get a NPE rather than a proper error message:

java.lang.NullPointerException [SQL State=S1000, DB Errorcode=-458]
java.sql.SQLException: java.lang.NullPointerException
        at org.hsqldb.jdbc.JDBCUtil.sqlException(Unknown Source)
        at org.hsqldb.jdbc.JDBCUtil.sqlException(Unknown Source)
        at org.hsqldb.jdbc.JDBCStatement.fetchResult(Unknown Source)
        at org.hsqldb.jdbc.JDBCStatement.executeQuery(Unknown Source)
        at workbench.sql.commands.SelectCommand.execute(SelectCommand.java:138)
        at workbench.sql.StatementRunner.runStatement(StatementRunner.java:552)
        at workbench.gui.sql.SqlPanel.displayResult(SqlPanel.java:3399)
        at workbench.gui.sql.SqlPanel.runStatement(SqlPanel.java:2160)
        at workbench.gui.sql.SqlPanel$4.run(SqlPanel.java:2098)
Caused by: org.hsqldb.HsqlException: java.lang.NullPointerException
        at org.hsqldb.error.Error.error(Unknown Source)
        at org.hsqldb.result.Result.newErrorResult(Unknown Source)
        at org.hsqldb.result.Result.newErrorResult(Unknown Source)
        at org.hsqldb.Session.executeDirectStatement(Unknown Source)
        at org.hsqldb.Session.execute(Unknown Source)
        ... 7 more
        at org.hsqldb.Schema.findReference(Unknown Source)
        at org.hsqldb.SchemaManager.findSynonym(Unknown Source)
        at org.hsqldb.ParserDQL.readTableName(Unknown Source)
        at org.hsqldb.ParserDQL.readTableOrSubquery(Unknown Source)
        at org.hsqldb.ParserDQL.XreadTableReference(Unknown Source)
        at org.hsqldb.ParserDQL.XreadFromClause(Unknown Source)
        at org.hsqldb.ParserDQL.XreadTableExpression(Unknown Source)
        at org.hsqldb.ParserDQL.XreadQuerySpecification(Unknown Source)
        at org.hsqldb.ParserDQL.XreadSimpleTable(Unknown Source)
        at org.hsqldb.ParserDQL.XreadQueryPrimary(Unknown Source)
        at org.hsqldb.ParserDQL.XreadQueryTerm(Unknown Source)
        at org.hsqldb.ParserDQL.XreadQueryExpressionBody(Unknown Source)
        at org.hsqldb.ParserDQL.XreadQueryExpression(Unknown Source)
        at org.hsqldb.ParserDQL.compileCursorSpecification(Unknown Source)
        at org.hsqldb.ParserCommand.compilePart(Unknown Source)
        at org.hsqldb.ParserCommand.compileStatements(Unknown Source)
        ... 9 more

Re: New features in HSQLDB version 2.3.4 Release Candidate 2

Fred Toussi-2
Thomas,

Thanks for reporting.

I have fixed this and uploaded a new RC3 Jar.

Fred

On Fri, Mar 25, 2016, at 08:24, Thomas Kellerer wrote:

> Fred Toussi schrieb am 21.03.2016 um 14:21:
> > The latest Release Candidate 2 jar (corresponding to SVN /trunk revision
> > 5570) is available now from
> > the hsqldb.org web site:
> >
> > http://www.hsqldb.org/download/
> >
> > See the changelist:
> >
> > http://hsqldb.org/doc/2.0/changelist_2_0.txt
> >
> > Important new capabilities such as UUID type and SYNONYM have been
> > added.
> >
> > The final release will be out soon. Please test the Release Candidate 2
> > jar with your applications and report any issues as soon as possible.
> >
> When running a SELECT with a table that does not exist, I get a NPE
> rather than a proper error message:
>
> java.lang.NullPointerException [SQL State=S1000, DB Errorcode=-458]
> java.sql.SQLException: java.lang.NullPointerException
> at org.hsqldb.jdbc.JDBCUtil.sqlException(Unknown Source)
> at org.hsqldb.jdbc.JDBCUtil.sqlException(Unknown Source)
> at org.hsqldb.jdbc.JDBCStatement.fetchResult(Unknown Source)
> at org.hsqldb.jdbc.JDBCStatement.executeQuery(Unknown Source)
> at workbench.sql.commands.SelectCommand.execute(SelectCommand.java:138)
> at workbench.sql.StatementRunner.runStatement(StatementRunner.java:552)
> at workbench.gui.sql.SqlPanel.displayResult(SqlPanel.java:3399)
> at workbench.gui.sql.SqlPanel.runStatement(SqlPanel.java:2160)
> at workbench.gui.sql.SqlPanel$4.run(SqlPanel.java:2098)
> Caused by: org.hsqldb.HsqlException: java.lang.NullPointerException
> at org.hsqldb.error.Error.error(Unknown Source)
> at org.hsqldb.result.Result.newErrorResult(Unknown Source)
> at org.hsqldb.result.Result.newErrorResult(Unknown Source)
> at org.hsqldb.Session.executeDirectStatement(Unknown Source)
> at org.hsqldb.Session.execute(Unknown Source)
> ... 7 more
> at org.hsqldb.Schema.findReference(Unknown Source)
> at org.hsqldb.SchemaManager.findSynonym(Unknown Source)
> at org.hsqldb.ParserDQL.readTableName(Unknown Source)
> at org.hsqldb.ParserDQL.readTableOrSubquery(Unknown Source)
> at org.hsqldb.ParserDQL.XreadTableReference(Unknown Source)
> at org.hsqldb.ParserDQL.XreadFromClause(Unknown Source)
> at org.hsqldb.ParserDQL.XreadTableExpression(Unknown Source)
> at org.hsqldb.ParserDQL.XreadQuerySpecification(Unknown Source)
> at org.hsqldb.ParserDQL.XreadSimpleTable(Unknown Source)
> at org.hsqldb.ParserDQL.XreadQueryPrimary(Unknown Source)
> at org.hsqldb.ParserDQL.XreadQueryTerm(Unknown Source)
> at org.hsqldb.ParserDQL.XreadQueryExpressionBody(Unknown Source)
> at org.hsqldb.ParserDQL.XreadQueryExpression(Unknown Source)
> at org.hsqldb.ParserDQL.compileCursorSpecification(Unknown Source)
> at org.hsqldb.ParserCommand.compilePart(Unknown Source)
> at org.hsqldb.ParserCommand.compileStatements(Unknown Source)
> ... 9 more

Re: ORM alternative features in HSQLDB version 2.3.4

There is some information in the Guide, but it's not online yet.

The purpose of storing objects in the database without any ORM is to reduce the amount of coding and database modifications when you add fields to the Java classes.

Your JSON objects have a lot of fields but for finding them you only need to store the searchable fields separately in database tables and create an index on the columns. For example, your object may have all the information about a movie, but you only search for the title, director or actors. So if you create a relational database with tables for the movie, director and actor names, and add the movie object as a field to the table containing title, you can retrieve the movie object after a search and access all the rest of the information.

Some information below:

From version 2.3.4 there are two options for storing Java Objects.

The default option allows storing Serializable object. The objects remain serialized inside the database until they are retrieved. The application program that retrieves the object must include in its classpath the Java Class for the object, otherwise it cannot retrieve the object.

Any serializable Java Object can be inserted directly into a column of type OTHER using any variation of PreparedStatement.setObject() methods.

The alternative Live Object option is for mem: databases only and is enabled when the database property sql.live_object=true is appended to the connection property that creates the mem database. For example 'jdbc:hsqldb:mem:mydb;sql.live_object=true'

With this option, any Java object can be stored as it is not serialized. The SQL statement SET DATABASE SQL LIVE OBJECT TRUE
can be also used.

On Thu, Mar 24, 2016, at 23:56, Gnani Swami wrote:
Hi Fred,

"-- added support for storing live Java Objects in mem: databases with live_object connection property" - Seems quite interesting,  But I couldn't find any documentation about it.

Can I use HSQLDB without any ORM? Is there a way I could store JSON object and fire SQL against it.
Cheers

On Mon, Mar 21, 2016 at 9:21 PM, Fred Toussi <[hidden email]> wrote:
The latest Release Candidate 2 jar (corresponding to SVN /trunk revision
5570) is available now from
the hsqldb.org web site:

http://www.hsqldb.org/download/

See the changelist:

http://hsqldb.org/doc/2.0/changelist_2_0.txt

Important new capabilities such as UUID type and SYNONYM have been
added.

The final release will be out soon. Please test the Release Candidate 2
jar with your applications and report any issues as soon as possible.

Fred Toussi
HSQLDB Project

Re: New features in HSQLDB version 2.3.4 Release Candidate 2

Thomas Kellerer
Fred Toussi schrieb am 21.03.2016 um 14:21:
> See the changelist:
>
> http://hsqldb.org/doc/2.0/changelist_2_0.txt
>
> Important new capabilities such as UUID type and SYNONYM have been
> added.

Where can I retrieve information about existing synonyms?

I can't find a table in information_schema that contains this information.

Also when dropping a table that is used by a synonym, this gives an exception:

   create table foo (id integer);
   create synonym syn_foo for foo;

   drop table foo cascade;

results in:

Caused by: org.hsqldb.HsqlException: java.lang.RuntimeException: unsupported internal operation: SchemaManager
     at org.hsqldb.error.Error.error(Unknown Source)
     at org.hsqldb.result.Result.newErrorResult(Unknown Source)
     at org.hsqldb.StatementSchema.execute(Unknown Source)
     at org.hsqldb.Session.executeCompiledStatement(Unknown Source)
     at org.hsqldb.Session.executeDirectStatement(Unknown Source)
     at org.hsqldb.Session.execute(Unknown Source)
     ... 7 more
Caused by: java.lang.RuntimeException: unsupported internal operation: SchemaManager
     at org.hsqldb.error.Error.runtimeError(Unknown Source)
     at org.hsqldb.SchemaManager.removeSchemaObject(Unknown Source)
     at org.hsqldb.SchemaManager.removeSchemaObjects(Unknown Source)
     at org.hsqldb.SchemaManager.dropTable(Unknown Source)
     at org.hsqldb.SchemaManager.dropTableOrView(Unknown Source)
     at org.hsqldb.StatementSchema.dropTable(Unknown Source)
     at org.hsqldb.StatementSchema.getResult(Unknown Source)
     ... 11 more

Re: New features in HSQLDB version 2.3.4 Release Candidate 2

Fred Toussi-2
There is a new INFORMATION_SCHEMA.SYSTEM_SYNONYMS table.

select * from information_schema.system_synonyms

I built and uploaded a new jar just now as the fix for CASCADE was not
in the last jar.

Fred

Fred Toussi schrieb am 25.03.2016 um 16:54:
> There is a new INFORMATION_SCHEMA.SYSTEM_SYNONYMS table.
>
> select * from information_schema.system_synonyms

Hmm, strange. I could have sworn that table was not there with the first jar I tried.

> I built and uploaded a new jar just now as the fix for CASCADE was not
> in the last jar.

Thanks, works fine.

Thomas

Re: New features in HSQLDB version 2.3.4 Release Candidate 2

Fred Toussi-2
The table wasn't in the first jar. I added it today after you asked for
it.

Fred