Quantcast

Large memory with Liquibase created tables..?

Large memory with Liquibase created tables..?

James Green
Hi,

We have an HSQL-server mode installation (2.2.8) and a Tomcat-hosted application connecting to it. The application uses Liquibase to create the tables and version changes. All works fine.

Trouble is we're finding performance quite slow having now begun more serious testing. The VM instance it's running in has 4G of memory allocated yet hsqldb appears to have the following when checking top:

 1061 hsqldb    20   0 3659m 2.2g 4992 S    0 57.6   6843:21 java

The server.properties file is as follows:

server.database.0   file:data/mjls
server.dbname.0     mjls
server.silent       true
server.trace        false

server.port         9001
server.no_system_exit         true

The data directory holds:

-rw-r--r-- 1 hsqldb hsqldb   16 Jul 18 17:18 mjls.lck
-rw-rw-r-- 1 hsqldb hsqldb  11M Jun 20 10:29 mjls.lobs
-rw-rw-r-- 1 hsqldb hsqldb 7.8M Jul 18 17:18 mjls.log
-rw-rw-r-- 1 hsqldb hsqldb   85 Jul 18 16:59 mjls.properties
-rw-rw-r-- 1 hsqldb hsqldb 1.2G Jul 18 16:59 mjls.script

We have today used Liquibase to add indexes to the fields of the main entities used in the WHERE clauses but without much wall-clock difference which I find somewhat surprising.

So what's next in our investigations? Any good tool to help us understand our position or particularly obvious configuration tweaks we've failed to notice/apply?

Thanks,

James