Quantcast

How to convert a BIGINT to a mac address string

How to convert a BIGINT to a mac address string

Tzvika Barenholz
Hi guys

I have a db column representing a MAC address of a network device.
It is a 6 byte number, so I store it as BIGINT.

now the standard way to show MAC addresses in the UI is like this :
a1:de:04:23:2e:01
i.e. hex values with bytes separated with :
I'm trying to create a select statement that will do this.
the problem is that the mod() function won't take the number as it is
too big for it (?) and I am at a loss how to slice up the multibyte
without it.

any thoughts?

p.s. I could have really used Long.toHexString but it is not static...

thx in advance
Tzvika