[HSQLDB] Using Server.start()

Michael Thelen
Hello!

I am starting a database server from within a webapplication's
contextInitialized() Method. The whole thing is running on Debian and
JDK 1.4.2.

When I start Tomcat and run the command netstat -l then the port 9001 is
shown as 'listening'. If I use the Tomcat Webapp Manager to restart only
the specific webapplication the port is not shown at all. However it
still seems to work.

Is this a Problem with the JVM or with HSQLDB? Because I like to use
netstat to check if a server is up and the port open.

Bye,
Mike

Re: [HSQLDB] Using Server.start()

Blaine Simpson
Michael Thelen wrote:

> Hello!
>
> I am starting a database server from within a webapplication's
> contextInitialized() Method. The whole thing is running on Debian and
> JDK 1.4.2.
>
> When I start Tomcat and run the command netstat -l then the port 9001
> is shown as 'listening'. If I use the Tomcat Webapp Manager to restart
> only the specific webapplication the port is not shown at all. However
> it still seems to work.
The Server listener still works... without a listening socket?  No.
Looks like Gnu netstat... are you using -l and -n?
If you're using a grep pipe or something, could you copy and paste it here?

I'd sprinkle some debug statements into the Server startup code in your
contextInitialized() method to see what's
going on.