Quantcast

HSQLDB Deployment & Virus Checkers

Mike Ressler-2
All,

I noticed that the DOCS for HSQLDB mention that virus checkers will interfere with database files: http://hsqldb.org/doc/guide/management-chapt.html#mtc_deploy_context

I did just have a customer lose quite a bit of data due to an unruly virus checker.  While we have a cloud backup option, they didn't use it (womp).

Is there any way around this virus checker vulnerability?  Does shutting down with SHUTDOWN COMPACT get around this?  I suspect the virus checker sniffs out the SQL statements and panics, deleting the .script file.

Thanks for any pointers!

Mike Ressler

Re: HSQLDB Deployment & Virus Checkers

Thomas Kellerer
Mike Ressler, 25.09.2013 19:42:

> I noticed that the DOCS for HSQLDB mention that virus checkers will
> interfere with database files:
> http://hsqldb.org/doc/guide/management-chapt.html#mtc_deploy_context
>
> I did just have a customer lose quite a bit of data due to an unruly
> virus checker.  While we have a cloud backup option, they didn't use
> it (womp).
>
> Is there any way around this virus checker vulnerability?  Does
> shutting down with SHUTDOWN COMPACT get around this?  I suspect the
> virus checker sniffs out the SQL statements and panics, deleting the
> .script file.

This is not unique to HSQLDB.
I have seen installations of Postgres and Oracle fail or get corrupted because of anti-virus programs.

They hook themselves to deeply into the IO code that the application itself cannot do very much.

The usual solution is to exclude the directory where the database is stored from scanning.

Re: HSQLDB Deployment & Virus Checkers

James Green
We had to document where our application data is held and require that any new installations tell anti-virus software to exclude it in their scanning. That was with SQLite. Windows, eh - you can't live with it, they can't live without it...

On 26 September 2013 07:46, Thomas Kellerer <[hidden email]> wrote:
Mike Ressler, <a href="tel:25.09.2013%2019" value="+12509201319">25.09.2013 19:42:
> I noticed that the DOCS for HSQLDB mention that virus checkers will
> interfere with database files:
> http://hsqldb.org/doc/guide/management-chapt.html#mtc_deploy_context
>
> I did just have a customer lose quite a bit of data due to an unruly
> virus checker.  While we have a cloud backup option, they didn't use
> it (womp).
>
> Is there any way around this virus checker vulnerability?  Does
> shutting down with SHUTDOWN COMPACT get around this?  I suspect the
> virus checker sniffs out the SQL statements and panics, deleting the
> .script file.

This is not unique to HSQLDB.
I have seen installations of Postgres and Oracle fail or get corrupted because of anti-virus programs.

They hook themselves to deeply into the IO code that the application itself cannot do very much.

The usual solution is to exclude the directory where the database is stored from scanning.

Re: HSQLDB Deployment & Virus Checkers

Thomas Kellerer
James Green, 26.09.2013 10:16:
> Windows, eh - you can't live with it, they can't live without it...

If Linux was as wide-spread as Windows we'd have the same problems with Linux.

Re: HSQLDB Deployment & Virus Checkers

Mike Ressler-2
That's disappointing.  Thanks for the quick responses!

James Green, <a href="tel:26.09.2013%2010" value="+12609201310">26.09.2013 10:16: