HSQL Server fails to start on Win2008 64 bit

HSQL Server fails to start on Win2008 64 bit

Andreas Säger
Hello,
On a Win2008-64 server I can test hsqldb 2.2.8 like this:
> C:\Program Files (x86)\hsqldb\lib>java -jar hsqldb.jar

which pops up the database tool and lets me connect to my databases in
file mode successfully.

Starting the server fails:

> C:\Program Files (x86)\hsqldb\lib>java -cp hsqldb.jar org.hsqldb.server.Server --props D:\Daten\hsqldbdata\server.properties
> [Server@27430b5c]: [Thread[main,5,main]]: checkRunning(false) entered
> [Server@27430b5c]: [Thread[main,5,main]]: checkRunning(false) exited
> [Server@27430b5c]: Startup sequence initiated from main() method
> [Server@27430b5c]: Loaded properties from [D:\Daten\hsqldbdata\server.properties]
> [Server@27430b5c]: Initiating startup sequence...
> [Server@27430b5c]: [Thread[HSQLDB Server @27430b5c,5,main]]: run()/openServerSocket():
> java.net.BindException: Cannot assign requested address: JVM_Bind
>         at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.socketBind(Native Method)
>         at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.bind(Unknown Source)
>         at java.net.ServerSocket.bind(Unknown Source)
>         at java.net.ServerSocket.<init>(Unknown Source)
>         at org.hsqldb.server.HsqlSocketFactory.createServerSocket(Unknown Source)
>         at org.hsqldb.server.Server.openServerSocket(Unknown Source)
>         at org.hsqldb.server.Server.run(Unknown Source)
>         at org.hsqldb.server.Server.access$000(Unknown Source)
>         at org.hsqldb.server.Server$ServerThread.run(Unknown Source)
> [Server@27430b5c]: Initiating shutdown sequence...
> [Server@27430b5c]: Shutdown sequence completed in 0 ms.
> [Server@27430b5c]: 2012-05-04 18:29:42.783 SHUTDOWN : System.exit() is called next

I am not the administrator of that machine. I'd like to tell the admin
what needs to be done in order to make the new machine serve my
databases. I've had no problems on the older Win XP32 machine which
became a desktop client.

Thank you in advance,
Andreas

Re: HSQL Server fails to start on Win2008 64 bit

Fred Toussi-2
Some general information here, as I don't have access to Win2008.

You can connect to your local database in file: mode as no networking
takes place.

The HSQLDB Server uses the TCP port 9001 by default (or 554 when using
SSL). This port is probably used by some other process or blocked by a
firewall. You can change the port in the server.properties file. If
necessary, you can also specify the IP address to use in
server.properties (some server boxes have multiple IP addresses).

If you change the port to a non-default one, you need to specify the
port on the connection URL as in the example below with the server on
post 9999:

jdbc:hsqldb:hsql://192.168.0.20:9999/xdb

You need to provide the information on default port usage and ask the
administrator which port (and IP address if needed) to use.

This post has some relevant information on checking the ports that
are in use.

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/8965155/cannot-assign-requested-address-jvm-bind

Fred

On Fri, May 4, 2012, at 21:04, Andreas Säger wrote:

> Hello,
> On a Win2008-64 server I can test hsqldb 2.2.8 like this:
> > C:\Program Files (x86)\hsqldb\lib>java -jar hsqldb.jar
>
> which pops up the database tool and lets me connect to my databases in
> file mode successfully.
>
> Starting the server fails:
> > C:\Program Files (x86)\hsqldb\lib>java -cp hsqldb.jar org.hsqldb.server.Server --props D:\Daten\hsqldbdata\server.properties
> > [Server@27430b5c]: [Thread[main,5,main]]: checkRunning(false) entered
> > [Server@27430b5c]: [Thread[main,5,main]]: checkRunning(false) exited
> > [Server@27430b5c]: Startup sequence initiated from main() method
> > [Server@27430b5c]: Loaded properties from [D:\Daten\hsqldbdata\server.properties]
> > [Server@27430b5c]: Initiating startup sequence...
> > [Server@27430b5c]: [Thread[HSQLDB Server @27430b5c,5,main]]: run()/openServerSocket():
> > java.net.BindException: Cannot assign requested address: JVM_Bind
> >         at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.socketBind(Native Method)
> >         at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.bind(Unknown Source)
> >         at java.net.ServerSocket.bind(Unknown Source)
> >         at java.net.ServerSocket.<init>(Unknown Source)
> >         at org.hsqldb.server.HsqlSocketFactory.createServerSocket(Unknown Source)
> >         at org.hsqldb.server.Server.openServerSocket(Unknown Source)
> >         at org.hsqldb.server.Server.run(Unknown Source)
> >         at org.hsqldb.server.Server.access$000(Unknown Source)
> >         at org.hsqldb.server.Server$ServerThread.run(Unknown Source)
> > [Server@27430b5c]: Initiating shutdown sequence...
> > [Server@27430b5c]: Shutdown sequence completed in 0 ms.
> > [Server@27430b5c]: 2012-05-04 18:29:42.783 SHUTDOWN : System.exit() is called next
> >

> I am not the administrator of that machine. I'd like to tell the admin
> what needs to be done in order to make the new machine serve my
> databases. I've had no problems on the older Win XP32 machine which
> became a desktop client.
>
> Thank you in advance,
> Andreas

Re: HSQL Server fails to start on Win2008 64 bit [Solved]

Andreas Säger
Thank you Fred,
Problem solved. Port 9001 is open now and I had to fix the host IP in my
server.properties.
Greetings,
Andreas Säger