Quantcast

Forking HSQLDB

Dimitar Misev
Hi devs,

I want to make sure I don't miss something regarding the HSQLDB license,
as it seems the page hasn't been updated since 2010:
http://hsqldb.org/web/hsqlLicense.html A colleague has warned me that
Sun has been acquired by Oracle since then, and this may have some
implications on the license.

To introduce myself, I'm a PhD student working on a mediator engine that
will be able to parse mixed SQL and multidimensional array queries into
sub-queries, and evaluate them by distributing to the according backend
data sources (whether HSQLDB, PostgreSQL, MySQL, etc.). My idea on
implementing this is to fork and reuse HSQLDB. I will mostly need the
parser, and some infrastructure like the client/server interfaces, JDBC
driver, etc.

Would this be permitted by the license?

Best regards,
Dimitar

Re: Forking HSQLDB

Fred Toussi-2
The license has not changed at all. You can find the pure license text
in the zip distribution package. The mention of Java and Sun on the web
site is not part of the license.

Yes, you can modify the code for this purpose and include the HSQLDB
license file when you distribute your code as source or as executables.

Fred Toussi
Maintainer, HSQL Development Group