Change table status

Bayless Kirtley
Is it possible on an existing database to change a memory table to a cached table? I have some that have grown much larger than expected.

Bayless

Re: Change table status

Fred Toussi-2
Yes,

Execute the following one each large table, and leave the smaller tables as they are:

SET TABLE mytable TYPE CACHED

Fred

On Tue, Mar 18, 2014, at 20:46, Bayless Kirtley wrote:
Is it possible on an existing database to change a memory table to a cached table? I have some that have grown much larger than expected.

Bayless

Re: Change table status

Bayless Kirtley
Fred, it worked on 1 table but I have 4 that need to be changed. I tried several times, all at once and one at a time and those other 3 will not change. Any idea what may be wrong?

Bayless

Sent: Wednesday, March 19, 2014 3:06 AM
Subject: Re: [Hsqldb-user] Change table status

Yes,

Execute the following one each large table, and leave the smaller tables as they are:

SET TABLE mytable TYPE CACHED

Fred

On Tue, Mar 18, 2014, at 20:46, Bayless Kirtley wrote:
Is it possible on an existing database to change a memory table to a cached table? I have some that have grown much larger than expected.

Bayless

http://p.sf.net/sfu/13534_NeoTech

Re: Change table status

Fred Toussi-2
Try executing a checkpoint after each run of the statement.

Fred

On Wed, Mar 19, 2014, at 22:20, Bayless Kirtley wrote:
Fred, it worked on 1 table but I have 4 that need to be changed. I tried several times, all at once and one at a time and those other 3 will not change. Any idea what may be wrong?

Bayless

Re: Change table status

Bayless Kirtley
Fred,

I just tried the checkpoint. Also tried commit then shutdown after each set command. Still no luck. One table changes but the other 3 are still memory.

I am still running 2.2.8 so thought I would update to 2.3.2. Everything still the same. But, after that, my .properties file still shows 2.2.8. The way I tried to update was remove the old library from my program then point to the new one and recompile. This is an imbedded database. Am I doing something wrong in my update method?

Bayless

Re: Change table status

Fred Toussi-2
This doesn't look right.

You don't need to recompile your code to upgrade from 2.2.8.

If the properties file is showing 2.2.8, the version of HSQLDB that last saved the database is 2.2.8

Regarding the actual issue, open a copy of your database with the DatabaseManager and enter the SET TABLE statements by hand to see they do indeed work.

Fred

On Thu, Mar 20, 2014, at 2:26, Bayless Kirtley wrote:
Fred,

I just tried the checkpoint. Also tried commit then shutdown after each set command. Still no luck. One table changes but the other 3 are still memory.

I am still running 2.2.8 so thought I would update to 2.3.2. Everything still the same. But, after that, my .properties file still shows 2.2.8. The way I tried to update was remove the old library from my program then point to the new one and recompile. This is an imbedded database. Am I doing something wrong in my update method?

Bayless

Re: Change table status

Bayless Kirtley
Hmmm. Still no luck. I opened with DatabaseManager and manually submitted the SET TABLE statements as you suggested. The 3 recalcitrant table are still memory instead of cached.

Re: Change table status

Fred Toussi-2
Do you get an error message?

In any case execute the DatabaseManager with a large Xmx memory allocation.

Fred

On Mon, Mar 24, 2014, at 19:09, Bayless Kirtley wrote:
Hmmm. Still no luck. I opened with DatabaseManager and manually submitted the SET TABLE statements as you suggested. The 3 recalcitrant table are still memory instead of cached.

Re: Change table status

Bayless Kirtley
No error message. Just acted like it was done but still memory after shutdown. I’ll try the Xmx later today when I get a chance. The tables are not really that large yet but I expect them to grow due to new information.

Bayless

Re: Change table status

Bayless Kirtley
I set Xmx512m for both the DB engine and DB Manager then tried again. Still leaves the tables as Memory. Any other ideas?

The tables are small enough now that I can get around this problem by dumping them to text, deleting and recreating them then reload for the text. I thought you would probably like to figure out what is wrong though.

Bayless

Sent: Wednesday, March 19, 2014 5:24 PM

Try executing a checkpoint after each run of the statement.