Can't edit tables of my database with JDBC driver 2.3.4

Can't edit tables of my database with JDBC driver 2.3.4

Patrick Gelin

Hi,

I've got a problem, I can't edit columns with HSQLDB connection (embeded file). This problem is for all tables of my database (and also with DBeaver tool). I can't add a new column, I can't rename a column, change type, etc.

May be I forget an option with driver but I can't find out any information about this problem since last week... Or my databse will be locked, because a bad close... I really don't know. I'm the only user and I'm at conception time.

Do you have an idea ?

Thank you for your help.

Patrick
Hi,

I'm a beginer with HSQLDB. I'm using HSQLDB  last version with JDBC driver 2.3.4, and SQL Workbench client or HSQLDB data manager. I'm the only user of my database.

I've got a problem, I can't edit columns of my tables with HSQLDB connection.

My JDBC line is (with embeded file) :

jdbc:hsqldb:file:/home/gelinp/04_PROGRAMATION/projets/typodocOOo/database/typodoc

This problem is for all tables of my database (and also with DBeaver tool), and all schemas. I can't add a new column, I can't rename a column, change type, etc. I've veified filesystem, and no lock file was created before to lunch SQL Workbench, and I'm the proprietary of all files and I can read and write all database file... So :

* May be I forget an option with JDBC driver...

* Or my database will be locked, because a bad close...

* I can't find out how to know what kind of tables is, it's defaut create table... But does my default tables types are read-only ?

I don't know. Do you have an idea ?

Thank you for your help !

Patrick

Re: Can't edit tables of my database with JDBC driver 2.3.4

Fred Toussi-2
When you "can't edit columns" it means an exception is thrown and displayed in a visual tool.

What is the full text of the exception?

Fred

On Wed, Mar 29, 2017, at 16:35, Patrick Gelin wrote:

[...]

Not really, What I mean is that SQL Workbench butons are deseabled, so I can't push one to add or edit columns... Same problem with dbeaver, but I can push the edit button, but after the edit formula is in read-only mode...

What I can say is that I've used LibreOffice Ooo on the same database before. I configured Libre Office to use my database as an external database, so with files typodoc.data, typodoc.properties and typodoc.script into one directory, not into the .odb file.

Some times there was typodoc.lck file, so I erase it with file manager. So may be there is a state to modify  into my database too... I don't konw.

Patrick

Le 29/03/2017 à 17:47, Fred Toussi a écrit :
[...]

M Patrick GELIN
33 avenue du Président Kennedy
68200 Mulhouse
Tél : 03 89 46 30 57

Re: Can't edit tables of my database with JDBC driver 2.3.4

Fred Toussi-2
To get the exception message type a statement that modifies the database and execute it. For example

CREATE TABLE anyname (id INT)

It is possible that the OS has locked the directory. Try copying all the files to a new directory and connect to this database.

Fred

On Wed, Mar 29, 2017, at 17:03, Patrick Gelin wrote:
[...]

Finally, with SQL request there is no error ! I success to alter column, add column, drop column...

So the problem is only the SQL Worbench interface  and DBeaver Interface. I noticed that Squirrel success to manage my HSQLDB database, but the GUI is not very suitable and there is problems to coordinate order and list management when I'm working with foreign keys and indices. For exemple I have to drop primary key and foreign key before to rename primary key field...

What I'm asking myself is that it look like a problem with schema. Because my databse use 3 schemas, and it looks like the interface doesn't have the hability to situ table into the current schema, so the interface will show table in read-only mode... But I tested with an other database with only one default public schema, and I use default_schema=true in JDBC line, and it's the same problem...

Because HSQLDB data manager is not suitable to manage a lot of tables, I was trying all this SQL client managers (DBeaver, SQL Workbench, Squirrel...).  So where does the problem come from ? JDBC property ? Or the Graphical User INterface of all DBeaver and SQL Workbench ?

Patrick