Beware: DatabaseManager silently upgrades db file format

Beware: DatabaseManager silently upgrades db file format

Loyall, David

Hello.

It seems to be the case that using org.hsqldb.util.DatabaseManagerSwing (v2.3.1) on old hsqldb files will silently upgrade the files to the 2.3.0 file format, thus rendering them unreadable by the original application that created the files.

Not cool.

Please add a prompt to the DatabaseManagerSwing GUI.

Cheers,

--Dave

Re: Beware: DatabaseManager silently upgrades db file format

Loyall, David
> From: Fred Toussi
> You can open those files as readonly. See the Properties chapter of the Guide on connection properties.

But, then I can't change the database contents.

How about this: only upgrade a database if the URL contains an 'upgrade' property set to true.
        jdbc:hsqldb:file:~/filedb;upgrade=true

If a database cannot be opened without an upgrade, issue an error message that says so.

As a reminder: my other idea was to put a prompt in the gui app itself.

Otherwise, I am sure I won't be the last person to successfully edit an old (1.7.x) hsqldb with the latest Manager GUI, only to find that the legacy application can't read the files afterwards.

Incidentally, hsqldb is a fine product!  Even version 1.7.x allows us to store 2gb+ of data in a portable way... (For better or worse...)  :)

Cheers,
--Dave

Re: Beware: DatabaseManager silently upgrades db file format

Fred Toussi-2
We already have umpteen settings related to how to open databases. It
does not help when a user does not read the Guide which states what
happens when you open an old version database.

An old version database can be opened as readonly, or as read-write
which upgrades it. It is not possible to open an old version database as
read-write and save the changes in the old format.

The GUI app is just one app used to open databases. There are many
others too.

Version 1.7.x was a good product, but we have continued our work and
made a far superior product over the years.

Fred